Friday, June 6, 2008

Ellsbury Injury Analysis

I was at the game last night with my buddy and the minute Ellsbury made that catch, I saw him roll over the wrist and I said this isn't good. During the walk back into the dugout, he was clearly pointing to his thumb side of the wrist. This is in the area of the scaphoid and is a bone that is frequently fractured. The scaphoid has a blood supply which is sometimes compromised during the fracture and can require surgery.

I know they officially diagnosed a sprain, but honestly I believe he's going to end up with some sort of fracture (either a chip, hairline, or non-displaced). If this is the case he will end up on the DL for a minimum of 4-6 weeks and will likely struggle upon his return. This is his right hand which is the power hand/wrist for a left handed batter. Even though he isn't known for his power, he likely will suffer a power shortage for several weeks to months following the injury.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good analysis, those aching for speed and runs (AKA Jacoby owners) can probably pick up Coco Crisp if the waiver wire is bare, ideally after he serves his surely pending suspension

Corey Dawkins said...

I agree. I hate to say it but Damon could also help, if he is on the wire in your league. He's been hot lately and the Yankee offense is heating up now that everyone is full strength.