Thursday, June 19, 2008

Carlos Zambrano Injury Evaluation

I didn't want to comment on this until I had some idea of what was going on and now that I know what kind of MRI they're doing I can tell you.

Carlos Zambrano had his MRI pushed back to Friday because they are now going to be doing an arthrogram (basically a fancy name for an MRI where they inject dye inside the shoulder joint) They usually don't like to do this because it is an invasive procedure and that always carries at least some risk.

This can only mean one thing. They are worried about damage inside the shoulder in the form of either a tear to the labrum, rotator cuff, or joint capsule. Given his symptoms I wouldn't be surprised to see either a rotator cuff tear or a labral tear.

Honestly, I would try to shore up your pitching staff with other pitchers if possible because I expect he will be on the shelf for a little while. I will be doing a PFX article on him by tomorrow.

0 comments: